This Dog-Gone Life

Monday, December 27, 2004

All aboard!

We drove to Miami to board our ship, Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas! The ship's so nice and beautifully decorated for the holidays. We readily took advantage of their buffet since we were starving by the time we got there. The food was delicious and the desserts were heavenly. With our bellies full, we explored the boat and all its amenities. The deck is where all the action was, there was a band, a bar, the swimming pools, tons of people, and a lot of dancing. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many Filipinos working there.

Our cabin is small but very efficient. There was a small TV on the corner and they were even showing pay-per-view movies! The cabin attendant left some chocolates on our pillows which I thought was cool. It was a far cry from my childhood experience of travelling by ship to Negros.

We also went to a mandatory safety meeting with our life jackets which had a long white strap attached to it. I told E I don't need the meeting since I'm sure I'll strangle myself first with the straps before I could put the lifejacket on anyway.

When we bought our soda package at the bar, we saw more Filipino crew members. E left them a big fat tip and when we returned that night to have some drinks, they really hooked us up. Needless to say, my vacation turned into a booze cruise. We chatted and made friends with them. We even left our address and phone numbers just in case they find themselves somewhere around San Francisco in need of a place to stay or maybe just a tour guide.

Check out pictures of the ship here: http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=ksif&tovr=-1294797248 (may or may not work, Expedia's website is a little wacko).