This Dog-Gone Life

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ramblings of a seasonally depressed

God/Allah/Helios/Higher Power, could you please, please, please, let the sun peek out a bit? Just a teeny weeny bit so that 1) my backyard will dry up and my dogs won't have to keep tracking in mud inside the house and 2) most importantly, so my mood would lift up. This wet, dark, gloomy winter is slowly making me nuts. I really don't want to shell out $150 for a full spectrum lamp which I heard works like a magic for seasonal depression. Just send me some sun, pretty please?

On a slightly happy note, we had a "mutant hunt" session in my Bacterial Genetics class and I surprised myself by knowing all the answers! I'm not as engot in this class as I thought, here are the condensed version of the questions.

Q: What can you say about the DNA sequence of a mutant gene w/o frame shifts?
A: Must have no repeats.

Q: ...a gene w/ tons of deletions?
A: Has tons of repeats.

Q: Salmonella has no inserts. Why?
A: There are no transposable agents.

Q: ...a gene that absolutely does not revert?
A: No deletion in the sequence.

Q: ...a gene that reverts very rarely?
A: Has inserts in the sequence.

I could probably keep this up if my teacher would only stop mumbling to himself and talking to the board all the time. The subject is hard enough as it is, but having a professor who is better suited in doing research than conducting a lecture makes it even harder.