This Dog-Gone Life

Friday, April 15, 2005

Bye-bye Jeep, Hello Toyota Prius

The gas prices are really getting in my nerves so I traded my Jeep Liberty for an eco-friendly Toyota Prius. It's like night and day, really. The Jeep, we call it the Buboy-mobile, (after my black dog Tyler, aka Buboy) is black while the new Prius is white. We will appropriately call it the ChiChi Car, after my little white dog, Peachy.

The Jeep is a (mini) SUV, the Prius is a small hatchback car. The Jeep takes up $35 per fill up every 4 days because I drive so much. The Prius, I was told will only take $15 to fill up every 7-10 days. The Jeep was giving me 23 mpg in the highway while the Prius is supposed to reach 51 mpg in the highway. Isn't that awesome or what?

To get the Prius though, I had to literally call ALL the Toyota dealership in Northern California because there's a waiting list to get the car. It's selling like hot cakes. Oh, I read this article saying that used Prius' are being sold for more than the original price. Ngek!

I finally located one in Stockton after weeks of calling around. The only problem is that the car is top of the line (package 6) and all I really wanted is the middle of the road package 3 or 4. I reasoned that I really don't need the navigation system, bluetooth, and all the other extras. E urged me to take a look at it and when the salesman offered to take a thousand off the price, we went ahead and bought the car.

Check out the Prius here.

The things that I like the most are:

1. the navigation system, not the female voice but just the map
2. the smart key system. I can start the car without handling my keys.
3. the screen that shows how the engine, the electric motor, and the battery works together
4. the really bright head lights
6. the 6 CD changer. So bad ass.
5. most importantly, it's a cool little car and doesn't use as much gas (50 plus miles per gallon). You hear that OPEC?
6. let's not forget my bragging rights for driving an environment-friendly vehicle.

I love this car. I love it so much I plan on washing it (with the help of Mr.Clean, of course) myself. Yeah, sad to say but I never washed any of my previous cars. I paid the neighborhood kids to do it for me.

As soon as I re-install Hello! again, I'll post pictures of my awesome Chichi Car.